Jun 13, 2014

Essays 1-03a: Personal Language Learning Stories & Plans

I was born nineteen years ago, and I had started learning English sixteen years ago at K school. At first, I only remembered alphabet and its pronunciation. I liked pronunciation and I could write own name in English at that time. I also learned English in kindergarten. We learned vocabulary and simple conversation like “My name is ~.” Then, when I entered elementary school, there were also English classes. There was only once a week, though, we learned from a native English speaker. I started learning English conversation when I was ten years old. I learned only English grammar in K school, so I couldn’t speak English till then. And my teacher told my English pronunciation is not good like “r” and “l.” I practiced tongue twister everyday. My teacher also said to me to take the exams. I took fifth grade English test certification when I was ten years old. I took third grade English test certification till I graduated elementary school. And I quit K school.

When I entered junior high school, there were many students who are good at English, so I motivated and I thought I must try hard to study English. Then I took pre-second grade English test certification when I was thirteen years old. English became my favorite subject. When I was third grade, I started interested in K-POP, so I studied Korean little. I could write Korean alphabet.

After a year, I entered high school. English was my favorite subject in high school, too. I took the TOEIC twice when I was third grade. I also took second grade English test certification.

And now, I’m English department student. We are taking English classes every day and we have a lot of English homework. We always do speaking, reading, listening, and writing homework. I feel it is hard sometime though, I think they are making my English skill better. Actually, the score of TOEIC when I took first year grew about 200 points compare with a year ago. TOEFL also grew 60 points in one year. I also learned Spanish in the first year. We became able to so self-introduction. My Korean skill also grew. I can simple conversation and I understand simple Korean, and I can read, too. I never study Korean grammar. I learned from lyric of K-POP and Korean TV programs. I can travel Korea alone now.

I want to go abroad to grow my speaking skill and I want to speak English as fluently as native English speakers in the future. The near future, I want to pre-first grade English test certification and want to grow my TOEIC score over 800 till I graduate university.

[446 words]

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rina,

    Somewhere along your 19-year long life path, you must have had a number of meaningful and memorable encounters with the Japanese language, probably starting well before you entered the Japanese school system. Please write about those, too.

    Cheers, PB

    ReplyDelete